|This is a page from the Flash Renamer user manual.|
The Flash Renamer interface can be divided into six parts:
File ListHere you see the files and folder that are to be renamed by the program. The second column shows a preview of what the filenames will look like after it has been renamed, so you don't have to guess and make a mistake.
Above the file list is a checkbox that allows you to enter thumbnail mode. In thumbnail mode image files will show as a small preview of the image. Most common image formats are supported, including BMP, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, PNG and Photoshop PSD.
At the top you see three tabs, Browser, Free Select and Preset Manager:
- File Browser Mode - This mode will rename an entire folder. You can choose to include files, folders & subfolders, by manipulating the checkboxes found in the global options.
- Free Select Mode - This mode allows you to rename files from different loations at once. To add files, either:
- Drag and drop files from Windows Explorer
- Click on the "add files" button above the list view
- Right click on one or more files in "file browser mode", and choose "add to free select" from the popup menu.
- Create a textfile containing the filenames you wish to import, and start Flash Renamer using the /l switch. Read about command lines for more info.
- Preset Manager - The preset manager is also located here. Read more about presets here.
The base path is entered in the textbox above the file list. Next to the path is the pattern textbox, where you can chose to enter a search pattern. E.g. *.mp3 would only include files with an mp3 extension. Type *.* to includes all files.
Global OptionsHere you will find various options that determine what files or folders to rename, and other options that are used by all the rename functions (where applicable). For a closer look at the global options, continue reading here.
Function SelectFlash Renamer consists of many functions that each renames your files in a different way. Here you select which function to use. First click on one of the round buttons to select the category, then click on one of the tabs underneath to select the function you want to use.
Rename SettingsWhen you have selected a function (above) it is time to configure it, so that it renames your files the way you want it. Each function is explained in detail if you click on the function name in the menu to the left in this manual.
- Rename - This will begin to rename the selected files with the currently selected options. During this the Log window will be shown, where you can see what is happening. If this button is disabled there is something wrong with the current settings that prevents the program from executing, e.g. the are no files to rename.
- Undo - Each time you press the rename button undo data is saved so you can revert to your old filenames. Undo can step back all renamings made since you started the program (provided that no other program has changed the filenames in between). BUT: Instead of relying on the undo function I recommend that you carefully watch the "preview column" and make sure that you new filenames are ok before you press the rename button.
- About - Shows information about Flash Renamer. Here you can for example see how many files and folders you have renamed!
- Settings - Opens the Settings window where you can edit the program settings.
Tip: You can also press F5 to rename your files!
Note: The Mp3 Tagger function and the Remove Tags function do not support undo!
Status BarThe status bar shows useful information about the what the program is currently doing and the number of files & folders currently included.